FERIE - HOLIDAY
SOUTH FUNEN - ULTIMO - JULY 2011
--- (Please have patience – loading pictures). ---
Rental summer cottage - Brunellevænget 7, Stenodden, Tåsinge - South Funen - Denmark.
Ulla Caswell - (Jacksonville - Florida),
Shopping in Svendborg.
Cosy - and eating strawberries with cream.
Trip to the beach (no rain but cloudy).
Southwest of Valdemar's Castle is the 400 year old beautiful giant oak, "Ambrose-oak".
It was romantically linked to the poet, Ambrosius Stub, who was writing and imployed poet at Valdemar Castle.
The tree is planted approx. 1600 and has a circumference of 7.30 m.
Valdemar Castle on Tåsinge south of Svendborg was built by
King Christian IV in the year 1639-44 as a residence for his son Valdemar
The construction included materials from the nearby medieval castle Kærstrup, and the castle was built of brick in two storeys.
The castle was badly damaged during Swedish wars in 1658 and was almost a ruin when the naval hero Niels Juel bought it in the 1678th
After a thorough renovation in the 1600s and again in the mid-1700s came Valdemar's Castle to appear as the rococo, it is today.
An elegant tea pavilion, built in 1754, remains a grand icon of the castle.
Niels Juel was an admiral in the Danish navy in the Scanian War (1675-79). Here he made himself especially noted
when he was with a much smaller fleet won a decisive victory over the Swedes in Køge Bay in 1677.
The victory was a personal and military triumph of Niels Juel, but it was also much more than that.
It meant that a significant income for him when the victory gave him the right to raise a tenth of the revenues from the spoils of war.
For this money he bought in 1678 Valdemar's Castle.
The descendants of naval hero Niels Juel still own the castle.
Tranekær Castle is known from
the sources back from 1200-century.
By Waldemar second Victory died 1241 surpassed Tranekær Castle to the royal family's Abel-line, who held it with a few interruptions until Waldemar Atterdag in 1358 took the castle after 14-day siege, deploying a royal captain and made it the headquarters for Tranekær Len.
In 1645 got the prosperous Councillor and Governor of South Jutland Christian Rantzau county in the mortgage. His 15-year-old daughter, Margaret Dorothea was in 1656, Denmark's wealthiest heir. The 31-year-old Frederick Ahlefeldt, who was Foreign Count of Lorraine and also owned Søgård in Jutland, fell in love with her, but her father approved of no connection ..
Ahlefeldt abducted therefore determined the young girl, and second Christmas Day 1656 did they marry in a Holstein village. Christian Rantzau was reportedly furious, but had to put up with the accomplished fact, and in 1659 ceded the county to his son as part of his daughter's dowry. Since then Ahlefeldt sat on Tranekær.
Frederick Ahlefeldt rose quickly in Frederick 3.s favor and ended after Griffenfeld fall 1676 as a Christian 5.s Chancellor. In 1672 he was Exalted in the Danish Count booth at the Tranekær and its other holdings to form the Shire of Langeland.
Party tent set up.
Before Drink and shared dinner after the hard work of the tent.
Ready for Birthdayparty.
(Several of the guests had flown in from America to celebrate
End of a wonderful celebration.
We took a day trip with Ærøfærgerne from Svendborg to Ærøskøbing.
Smedegade 22, Ærøskøbing
Bottle and model ship collection has been exhibited in Ærøskøbing former poorhouse since 1943.
The collection, which includes bottled ships which are over 100 years old, is the oldest in the world.
Bottle Peter learned to build ships in bottles when he sailed the seven seas, and he reached over his life to
build over 1700 of them, and more than 50 beautiful model ships.
The collection on display in one of Ærøskøbing old captain's houses, a period served as the towns poorhouse.
A new American collection is displayed in an exciting new
display with lots of maritime atmosphere.
American collection consists of bottle ships bottle-Peter at the time sold off,
and which has been used in a traveling exhibition in the U.S. and Europe,
but now has come back to Ærøskøbing.
Av - a hospital!
is the title of a new exhibition that is housed in part of the bottle-Peters Collection.
A 'hospital group' consisting of current and former employees at the local hospital has about a year working hard on sorting, refurbishment,
presentation, description and much more - a unique object collection, which over the years have been stored and cared for in a basement room at the hospital.
The exhibition shows include an operating room, a delivery room and a patient lounge with tools that have been used on the small hospital since its inception in 1891.
The idea is also to give an impression of a small provincial hospital varied functions until around 1970.
A continuous transformation over the years makes the hospital on Ærø still works today with rapid response service and contemporary treatments.
The exhibition is exciting and vibrant told - as the title suggests.
Farewell to Ærøskøbing for this time.
--- o0o ---
End of a wonderful vacation in the South Funen.
We can recommend "South Funen" as your next holiday resort.
BACK TO INDEX PICTURE GALLERY